After a long stretch of me forgetting to return my Netflix movies in order to receive more, I finally remembered to do so and yesterday received the first disc of the first season of The Riches, which stars Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver. Not only am I sort of in love with this show, but at the close of the first episode Eddie Izzard's character, Wayne, quotes a stanza of poetry that is so beautifully delivered that I rewatched it over and over. So I had to find the whole poem and who wrote it; thus I present the audience with it now (the last stanza was the one used in the show):
A Story That Could Be True
by William Stafford
If you were exchanged in the cradle and
your real mother died
without ever telling the story
then no one knows your name,
and somewhere in the world
your father is lost and needs you
but you are far away.
He can never find
how true you are, how ready.
When the great wind comes
and the robberies of the rain
you stand on the corner shivering.
The people who go by--
you wonder at their calm.
They miss the whisper that runs
any day in your mind,
"Who are you really, wanderer?"--
and the answer you have to give
no matter how dark and cold
the world around you is:
"Maybe I'm a king."
The quote is appropriate because Wayne is a travelling wanderer -- a gypsy, if you will. I enjoy finding new quotes and things, so I just wanted to share this with others because I think it's interesting. Also, I would recommend The Riches to everyone, it's a great show, even if the first episode is sort of heavy in places (okay, so they witness a car accident where the people die and so they take over their lives, which sounds gruesome but... trust me, okay?) and you have to accept that the characters... well, you know, do things that con artist gypsies might do. But they're really nice, I swear! :) Watch it!
(Also, while looking up William Stafford online, I found out that he was a professor at Lewis & Clark College. Awesome.)



No comments:
Post a Comment